Why Safety Is Important – I believe there is no one who does not appreciate the word SAFETY ; even with very little understanding about it. Safety as its rightly defined is – A condition of being protected from anything or situation which could likely cause danger, risk, or injury.
Help protect against danger, risk and injury.
Though safety is deeper than it is defined above as is explained in one of my previous articles – What is safety, we have still been able to draw out something from the literary definition of safety. At this point, let me highlight the reasons why safety is important in three (3) broad categories: These categories constitutes Why we practice safety?
- Safety is important for moral reasons: Morally speaking, no one want to get hurt, and no one is happy that someone else gets hurt.
- Safety is important for economic reasons: When you are involved in accident, you spend money. Thus may be detrimental to your business.
- Safety is important for legal reasons: Since safety is a law, non-compliance will attract punishment in terms of fines, imprisonment or your business may be shut-down by regulatory bodies.
Lets break down the importance from the categories: – Moral reasons
- Safety help prevent injury/dead to individuals
- Helps prevent damage to property and equipment
- Ensure a happy and healthy workforce
– Economic reasons
- Reduces lost time
- Increased financial benefits
- Safe money from payment of compensations, hospital bills, death right, etc.
- Improve productivity
- Reduce absenteeism
- Enhances company image & reputation
- Enhance competitive advantage in contract bidding
- Reduce workers turnover
- Attract competent and dedicated staffs, etc.
– Legal reasons
Protect firm/organization from legal actions
From the benefits listed – Who will not love to enjoy all the above benefit. The importance of safety cannot be over emphasized. People say – If you think safety is costly, try accident Answer these questions Have you been injured before from accident? – How did you feel? Have you seen someone get injured or die through accident? – How did you feel? This feeling alone is enough reason to understand how important safety is.
- Read Also : The fearsome hidden cost of accidents As your safety is of paramount importance, it is important that you stay up to date with the health and safety information.
- Try taking on appropriate health and safety courses to equip yourself with how to assure safety in different stages of your life.
Appreciate the importance of safety, act safe, and encourage others to do same. Additional information
Why is safety important at work?
Safety Pays for Everyone – The cost of injury prevention is far less than the cost of an injury. A safe and healthy workplace attracts and retains quality employees. It’s an asset to a community, operates more efficiently and enjoys a healthy bottom line. The business and the workers thrive in a safe, healthy, respectful and caring environment Safe and healthy workplaces:
Have more satisfied, productive workers who
Produce higher quality products and services Return to work more quickly after an injury or illness Feel loyal to the organization
Are better places to work Retain employees Establish positive community relations
What are the three things of safety?
Three Safety Principles What you think you know about safety can get you hurt. When it comes to safety the person who is at risk for injury must be aware of the hazard and what can be done to control the hazard and prevent injury. The three E’s of safety are: Evaluation, Education, and Enforcement.
What are protective actions?
Definition Actions taken to minimize the consequences of emergencies and to protect the health and safety of workers and the public. Source
DOE O 151.1D Chg1 (MinChg), Comprehensive Emergency Management System Dated Aug 11, 2016 Status Current
What is aspect in safety?
1 the quality of being safe.2 freedom from danger or risk of injury.3 a contrivance or device designed to prevent injury.